2001 .. Jan 02 .. Feb 02 .. Mar 02 .. Apr 02 .. May 02 .. Jun 02 .. Jul 02 .. Aug 02 .. Sep 02 .. Oct 02 .. Nov 02 .. Dec 02 .. 2003..
The Guild .. Home



PHONE: (925) 449-9927
WEB ADDRESS: www.lhg.org




May 2002 Vol. XXXI No. 8
Beginning Saturday, May 4, Livermore Art Association Gallery is hosting a public reception to introduce a unique show entitled "Adornments" where artists will show their creations in wearable and decorative arts. Carnegie Bldg. from 11:30 a.m. to4 p.m. with reception at I p.m, Admission is free.
Saturday & Sunday. May 4 & 5, Wine and Honey Festival,
downtown Livermore l0 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday
Thursday. May 9 @ 7:00 p.m.
LHG Board Meeting, Carnegie Bldg.
Monday, May 13: In honor of National Historic Preservation Week, at the May 13 city council meeting Tim Sage of LHG wiII present certificates to this year's 5 award winners. The council program is slated for 7 to 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, May 14, Livermore-Amador Genealogical Socicty @ 7:30 p.m. Congregation Beth Emek on College Ave. at M St. in Livermore. Speaker: Dr. Grace Devnich
Saturday, May 25, Livermore Heritage Guild Annual Auction and spaghetti dinner, Duarte Garage. Auction preview begins at 5 p.m., dinner starts at 6 p.m. and auction starts at 7 p.m. Tickets for the dinner are $6.00 and can be purchased in advance at the Carnegie Bldg. after May 10 or at the door that evening. Price includes spaghetti dinner, coffee and dessert.
Sunday, May 26. 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Art in the Vineyard At Wente Vineyards, Tesla Road, Livermore. Art exhibitions, demonstrations, sales, wine tasting. Free admission
LHG would like to thank Francis (Fran) Duarte for donations to the Duarte Garage display: typewriter, brass fire extinguisher, and tire pump. These are original items that were used when the Garage was open for business. Thank you Fran for a wonderful addition to the Duarte Garage!
Duarte Garage/Lincoln Highway Garage History
Mr. Frark H. Duarte built his garage in l9l5 on what was then the Lincoln Highway. He built the front part of the building and added the small cottage around an already existing tank house. The back part of the garage structure was added in 1923. Helen and Frank Duarte raised their sons Earl and Francis on this site and operated the Garage for many years. They sold gasoline, did automobile service and repair in the Garage and sold Star, Chevrolet, Durant and Flint autornobiles. Frank H. Duarte ran the Garage from 1915 until 1949. In 1926, immediately before the Lincoln Highway markers were put up across the country by the Boy Scouts, all in one day, the Lincoln Highway route was changed. It went direct from Sacramento to the Carquinez Straights near Vellejo and then down the east side of the Bay to Oakland.
Francis "Fran" Duarte attendeded a mechanical engineering school. Upon graduation, he went to work with his fathcr. He attempled to enlist in the service and was turned down. Later, however, he was drafted and served in Africa. He returned to Livermore and to their business at the Garage. He began running a machine repair shop in the Garage, repairing farm equipment and other machinery. In 1970's, the city purchased the land for the park on Portola and Livermore Avenue, bordered on the west by the Duarte Garage and cottage. It was then that Mr. Duarte closed his business. The Livermore Heritage Guild tried to convenice the City to let Mr. Duarte continue his business and to reside in the cottage. However, it was too late. The Livermore Heritage Guild then petitioned the City for the use of the property.
The Heritage Guild has done a lot of work on the site, including replacing the roof, putting a new floor in the rear section, painting the buildings three times, and continuing maintenance on the cottage and the garage. The Heritage Guild also maintains some exhibits inside and continues progress toward completion of the Garage Museum. Car clubs have come to the Garage as part of their club activities; we have held open house at the Garage for the public, the Garage is uscd as a polling place. The Annual Spaghetti Dinner and Auction are held the Saturday of Memorial Day in May every year.

 Page 2

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Livermore-Amador Genealogical Society meeting on May 14 will feature Dr. Grace Devnich. Dr. Devnich was a doctor to a large number of Livermore's citizens having started her practice here in 1948. After retirement, Dr. Devnich traveled to over fifty countries, wrote two books, wrote a number of articles on travel, Livermore history, and medical subjects. Dr. Devnich will speak on the medical history of the Livermore area, the large number of hospitals here, the doctors without licenses, a most unusual duct, and why she and her husband moved here in lhe first place. The LivermoreAmador Genealogy Society general meeting is the 2nd Tuesday of each month and is held at Congregation Beth Emek on College Ave. at M St. in Livermore. Please see web site www.1-ags.org or call 925 447-9652 for more information.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Excerpted from Livermore-Herald, May 7,1921
May Day Fete Held at Arroyo Sanatorium
In the presence of several hundred patients and visitors, a May Day Fete was presented at Arroyo Sanatorium last Sunday afternoon. When the program had been about half completed rain interfered with the arrangements for an outdoor affair, and the last numbers were given in the large social hall. The program was varied and contained an unusually large number of interesting and entertaining features. Livermore, Pleasanton and University of Santa Clara talent combined to provide the entertainment.

"The Spirit of May"

(An original poem written by Charles D. South of Santa Clara in honor of the occasion and dedicated to Arroyo Sanatorium).

The palms wave their banners aloft in the breeze,
The bird choirs are trilling their joy in the trees,
While the hearts of the roses are wooed by the bees
And the fields are in golden array;
For the poppies are curtseying over the scene
In a coy minuet o'er a carpet of green.
And the sun frames the picture in glorious sheen
In its radiant welcome of May.

From the glow and the warmth of the fire in the blue,
From the angels attending it all the day through,
From the verdure it summons to sip the sweet dew,
From the pearls of the dew by the way,
From the trees and the birds and the laugh-rippling streams,
From the hills and the dates where the golden-cup gleams.
From the gardens as far as our heaven of dreams,
Comes the wonderful spirit of May.

And that wonderful spirit pervading the earth
Thrills the pulses with life, fills the land with its mirth,
Calling Love, Faith and Hopc into blissful re-birth
Where they froze 'neath the winter-king's sway;
Makes the old and the young sing ' the gospel of cheer
And to all of its sunshiny precepts adhere,
As with laughter and song they bring heaven down here
Through the magical spirit of May.

Come, dance and be gay in our kingdom of glee
Swing, lassie and lad, 'round the Maypole with mc.
And our silver-haired playmates, as blythe as can be,
Shall join in our revels today;
Bid the spirit of Care to invade nevermore
Either gold-fruited valley or gold-pebbled shore,
That our gold land may vie with the Eden of yore
Through the mystical spirit of May.


2001 .. Jan 02 .. Feb 02 .. Mar 02 .. Apr 02 .. May 02 .. Jun 02 .. Jul 02 .. Aug 02 .. Sep 02 .. Oct 02 .. Nov 02 .. Dec 02 .. 2003..
The Guild .. Home

May 12, 2002